In the SCOTUS post, Sebastian raised the problem of the Supreme Court making rulings that result in laws and policies that do not reflect the will of the people, i.e., do not align with what the majority of people want.
Which is something to be concerned about. If governance drifts too far from the popular will, we have trouble.
Then, this, from the Washington Post, appears in my in-box.
by 2040 or so, 70 percent of Americans will live in 15 states. Meaning 30 percent will choose 70 senators. And the 30% will be older, whiter, more rural, more male than the 70 percent.
30 percent of the population will elect 70 percent of the Senate. That 30% will, by and large, be unlike the other 70%. Will have different interests, require different things from government, want different laws and policies enacted.
Un-representative SCOTUS rulings may be the least of our troubles.