Another mass shooting, this time in an elementary school in Connecticut. I am ill with horror.
Have some predictions:
- The shooter will turn out to be male.
- He will turn out to be white.
- He will turn out to be angry at a woman, or women in general
- If he's angry at an ex (wife or lover), she either works at the school or he murdered her before going to the school.
- More than half of the victims will be female.
- The weapons will have been obtained legally.
- There will be no legislation to make such weapons harder to obtain, stockpile, or use.
- Most reliable of all: gun sales will increase, especially for the particular weapons used in the shooting.
I absolutely think we need to talk about gun violence in America, and after this kind of massacre is no time to hold back. I also think we have to bear in mind that mass murder is different from normal American homicide:
- Normal American homicide is black-on-black; mass murder is white-on-white
- Normal homicide is male-on-male; mass murder is male-on-majority female
It is perfectly clear to me that the American Founders intended the right to bear arms to be the people's bulwark against government tyranny, specifically the threat of a standing army. It is also perfectly clear that that is not how firearms are *used*.
Most firearms in America are actually used to make men feel better about their dicks -- sorry, as symbols and reinforcers of masculinity. Men buy guns, telling themselves that they will use them in the masculine role of protector and defender. But in fact, guns are used to defend masculinity, first and foremost. Very occasionally, defending masculinity means defending others in your masculine role, but usually it means attacking other men for slights against your masculinity, or women for being uppity enough to disagree with you or reject you. Or children, for caring about anything other than Daddy. The god of masculinity is a very jealous god indeed.
Why else are gun defenders are so willing to water the tree of liberty with the blood of kindergartners?
The most respect I can show those of you who are gun defenders is to ask this: What would it take to break the cycle where every mass shooting leads to increased gun sales? What is the weak point in that feedback loop?
The Lictors Bring to Brutus the Bodies of His Sons, by Jacques-Louis David. Because obviously when women kill their children they're Medea, horrible and crazy, but a man who sacrifices children for the tree of liberty is noble and tragic. Right?