by liberal japonicus
I love the fact that 'I am resolved to the fact' gets the word resolved away from the notion of being resolute, and doing whatever it takes to get something done, to a "well, I guess there's nothing that can be done", which sort of exemplifies my policy on New Year's resolutions.
Here in Japan, they aren't much on resolutions, but New Year's cleaning is rather big, which is a good thing, except that I hate cleaning up when it's cold. But, in the spirit of the post, below the fold are of my resolutions
- Everyday stretching Status: This one might not count cause it didn't even get started. I was really impressed by Kit Laughlin's Youtube vids for stretching, but Japanese houses tend to be on the chilly side, so it was just too tough to spend 30 minutes stretching in a cold room. Maybe when it gets warmer.
- Doing a short Tabata style cardio workout every evening before taking the evening bath (Japanese style bath here). Not quite the full on 4 minutes, but it's 15 squat thrusts or burpees, followed by 15 kettlebell swings, then 14 and 14, 13 and 13, etc. Status: haven't missed yet and already seeing it get easier
- No snacking, more veggies Status: not giving up yet, but this looks like the first one I'll bail on. Perhaps revising it to less snacks might be the way to go
- Take another run at learning Chinese, this time thru pinyin.Status: been using this iphone app every nite, and starting to look over materials in pinyin, so that's good
- Work on my formal Japanese Status: hard to tell how that is going, but I should find out soon, I suppose
- a weekly post on something newsworthy, whether I'm ready or not. Status: pretty good, especially on the ready or not point.
So how about y'all?