Two and a half margaritas past enough sense to know better...
- I miss Katherine. Even Josh Marshall was unable to raise that thrill I had at seeing a new post by Katherine R. Knowing she'd have researched the piece impeccably and still come out to support the values I've cherished my whole adult life, each time I saw a piece with her byline, I was warmly reassured that reason would prevail...that a haven, if not a nation, of sense and sensitivity was still possible within the madness.
- I stubbornly refused to acknowledge Gary Farber's point about F911, even though if pressed to save my soul I would have agreed with him. Arguing for a context within to judge the movie doesn't lessen his point that the left deserves a better argument.
- I wish someone other than Kerry were the Democratic nominee. Edwards, Dean, even Kucinich...actually Kucinich would be perfect. To scare the living bejesus out of the hard right by nominating someone so far left would have been worth it if there wasn't a sliver of a chance the Dems could win back the White House.
- The idea of a holy war against Islam is retarded. I know folks think they can boil down the current mess of world events into a nice little package of Us Vs. Them, but only by ignoring the role the US and the rest of the western world has played in dividing up the Middle East and screwing the people there out of the best deal they could have had for the resources we're smuggling out of there. The average Muslim is a lovely Mother or Father or Son or Daughter or Cousin or Brother or Sister or whatever, with no more ability to conquer the Christian world or plunge the world into darkness than a B-Movie super villian with a lisp and hairless arm pet. Really, folks...suck it up and stop looking for a scapegoat. It's more complicated than that, regardless of how comforting you find it to reduce it to that.
- Gay people want equal treatment under the law. This shocks some people. How dare they? But to understand how simple and primal this is, all they need to do is imagine the reverse. You, as straight, are the minority, and the gay majority wants you to accept second-class citizenship. You'd be throwing up barricades and bombing police headquarters within a week. Give your gay fellow citizens a break. They really just want to buy a house, start a family, and retire with a nest egg that allows them to travel a bit and complete their collection of fine china replicas of Judy Garland and Shirley Temple. Your fear is unfounded. If you were as busy as you wish you were having straight sex, by the way, you'd have precious little time to give any thought at all to what your gay neighbors were doing. Sort that out before you pass an amendment chiseling descrimination into our most precious document.
I have more, but I"ll save it for the next time I'm way past sober enough that I should be posting here.
Apologies for any typos or overtly offensive sentiments.